As a guiDE, you have the following opportunities:
- Share your DukeEngage experiences with various stakeholders
- Contribute to our pre-departure and re-entry student training initiatives
- Influence decisions that impact DukeEngage
- Serve as a peer advisor by supporting prospective DukeEngage participants throughout all stages of the application process
- Participate in assorted training initiatives to grow in your leadership & professional development
- Expand your personal & professional network by connecting with awesome people!
Academic Year Leadership & Professional Development Positions
The guiDE program provides DukeEngage alumni a pathway to continue their commitment to service and civic engagement by providing leadership, mentoring and service opportunities that support wider DukeEngage efforts on-campus and beyond.
DukeEngage relies on regular and important collaboration with these student leaders. GuiDEs support their specific program and DukeEngage values by creating training resources, serving as peer advisers and mentoring students through their civic engagement development.
- Stay connected with your DukeEngage program staff and future cohorts of your DukeEngage program
- Serve as a peer adviser/mentor throughout the application and service process
- Assume a leadership role on campus and influence decisions that impact DukeEngage
- Meet new people: other Duke students, the DukeEngage staff, high-profile alumni, and other Duke-affiliated advisory groups
- Grow personally and professionally through group project work and specialized training session
The guiDE program consists of 20-30 DukeEngage alumni who are selected based on their interests, skills and commitment to civic engagement on the Duke campus. guiDEs can also be nominated by their Program Director and their peers. The commitment to being a guiDE is renewed on a semester-by-semester basis.
guiDEs are expected to participate in the following:
- Whole guiDE group semester kick-off
- Presentations & tabling events during O-week, Family Weekend, DukeEngage Month and Blue Devil Days
- Drop-In Advising
- Pre-Departure Training Events
- Special Events with Donors and VIPs
- Related Personal and Professional Development Events
- An End-of-Semester Check-In with guiDE Staff Liaison
Photo Gallery: guiDE program
From 2014 to now, students from all years, programs, and experiences have participated in DukeEngage’s student advisory committee, the guiDE program.