Academic Year Leadership & Professional Development Positions
The guiDE program provides DukeEngage alumni a pathway to continue their commitment to service and civic engagement by providing leadership, mentoring and service opportunities that support wider DukeEngage efforts on-campus and beyond.
DukeEngage relies on regular and important collaboration with these student leaders.
Through a project-based application and staff-led working groups, guiDEs support their specific program and DukeEngage values by creating training resources, serving as peer advisers and mentoring students through their civic engagement development.
The guiDE program consists of 20-30 DukeEngage alumni who are selected based on their interests, skills and commitment to civic engagement on the Duke campus. guiDEs can also be nominated by their Program Director and their peers. The commitment to being a guiDE is renewed on a semester-by-semester basis.
guiDEs commit to serving a minimum of 40 hours per semester. They are expected to attend the following events:
- Full-Day Retreat
- Bi-Weekly Meetings (With snacks! Dates & location set at the beginning of the year based on student availability)
- 10 hours of DukeEngage events, which may include:
- O-week, Family Weekend and Blue Devil Days
- Back at Duke Series
- Info Sessions & DukeEngage Week
- Drop-In Advising
- Pre-Departure Training Events
- Special Events with Donors and VIPs
- Related Personal and Professional Development Events
- An End-of-Semester Check-In with guiDE Staff Liaison
- Apply through our project-based application before September 4th!
- Stay connected with your DukeEngage program staff and future cohorts of your DukeEngage program
- Serve as a peer adviser/mentor throughout the application and service process
- Assume a leadership role on campus and influence decisions that impact DukeEngage
- Meet new people: other Duke students, the DukeEngage staff, high-profile alumni, and other Duke-affiliated advisory groups
- Grow personally and professionally through group project work and specialized training sessions
Photo Gallery: guiDE program
From 2014 to now, students from all years, programs, and experiences have participated in DukeEngage’s student advisory committee, the guiDE program.