DukeEngage empowers students to address critical human needs by fully funding a summer of immersive service, in the process transforming students, advancing the University’s educational mission, and providing meaningful assistance to communities in the U.S. and abroad.
In the summer of 2007, Duke launched an ambitious program to change the way its students would learn about the world, its problems and its potential.
Today, DukeEngage provides one-time funding for approximately 410 Duke undergraduates each summer who wish to pursue an immersive eight-week service experience by meeting a community need locally, across the U.S. or internationally.
As of summer 2018, more than 4,400 Duke students will have volunteered more than 1.5 million hours through DukeEngage, working alongside more than 600 community organizations in 42 U.S. cities and in 81 nations on six continents.
Students each year participate in a vast range of civic engagement activities, including environmental advocacy, community outreach, global health, education, social justice and more. Since 2007, students have:
- launched mentoring and school enrichment programs
- created community support initiatives
- designed health education and outreach programs
- contributed to civic technology projects
- produced environmental education documentaries
- developed microfinance opportunities for disadvantaged women and families.
Before, during and after DukeEngage, we encourage students to think critically about our program values and incorporate the values into their application answers, their summer contributions and their ongoing reflective thinking.
- DukeEngage values education through immersive civic engagement as the fundamental goal of our work.
- DukeEngage values community driven service with our domestic and international community partners as a means to addressing pressing human needs.
- DukeEngage values students who pursue their service with humility, respect and curiosity and who seek to understand how global inequalities shape our world.
- DukeEngage values ongoing service by its students to local, national and international communities.
- DukeEngage values responsible stewardship of financial, environmental and human resources.