DukeEngage maintains its service commitment to communities across the U.S.
For the summer of 2017, a new program in Kauai, Hawaii, focuses on environmental conservation and sustainability.
In past summers, among the many initiatives underway, students were:
- Exploring economic development from both a domestic and international perspective in Durham, NC, and sister city Durham, England.
- Working with New Orleans-based public health agencies to address community needs.
- Serving with nonprofits in Portland focused on environmental management.
- Partnering with organizations spanning various service sectors in Seattle to help address community needs in collaboration with Duke alumni.
- Volunteering with numerous nonprofits and NGOs in Washington, D.C. focused on health policy.
Why a Global Education Doesn’t Have to Mean Going Abroad (Chronicle of Higher Education)