The 2017 Fortin Foundation DukeEngage Academy will be held on East Campus, May 9-10, 2017.
Duke’s Exclusive Student Training Conference
The Fortin Foundation DukeEngage Academy is the the largest civic engagement conference of its kind. In the world. It represents Duke’s unwavering commitment to preparing its students to be successful and ethical global citizens.
Each year in early May, the Fortin Foundation DukeEngage Academy unites students, faculty, summer staff and community collaborators for two days of intensive pre-departure training. Through carefully-selected workshops, unique speakers, individual group reflection and team-building time, DukeEngage provides the groundwork and tools for effective civic engagement, safety and self-care, as well as fostering an ethos of critical reflection about the world around us and our place in it.
The Academy empowers participants with questions and tools to sustain a sense of curiosity, investment and flexibility throughout their summer projects — and into the future.
Required workshops explore topics such as:
- The Ethics of Engagement
- Privilege & Partnership
- Serving Across Cultures
- Succeeding On Your Own (for independent project participants)
- Health, Safety and Travel
A variety of optional workshops are also offered, including: Succeeding in the Workplace, Documenting your Experience, Intercultural and Interfaith Dialogue, Grant Writing for Nonprofits, Traveling as a Woman and much more.
The Fortin Foundation DukeEngage Academy builds skill-sets and competencies that can serve students during their DukeEngage summer — and into their careers.
Here are some things to keep in mind about the Academy:
- All DukeEngage participants are expected to attend and participate in both full days of training. At the end of the second day, the students who’ve completed all of the requirements will receive their stipend checks and be ready for their summer placement to begin!
- Attire for all Academy events and workshops is business casual.
- DukeEngage participants who live on campus will have special permission to remain in their dorms until the day after the Academy ends.
- Limited Duke bus service will provide transportation to and from East Campus, before and after training sessions.
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks are provided on day one. Breakfast, lunch and snacks are provided on day two.
Be on the lookout for additional info. We’ll email more details closer to the Academy.