Deadline: September 9, 2019
Each year, as part of our donor stewardship reporting, DukeEngage shares letters of appreciation from DukeEngage participants with our major supporters and funders. These funders — including The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, The Duke Endowment, and other high-profile organizations and individuals — provide financial support to sustain the work of DukeEngage.
Please consider submitting a statement about YOUR experience to be considered for inclusion in those reports. Your stories of impact are the heart of why DukeEngage exists — and why it will continue to attract financial support in the future.
If you don’t know where to start, here are some ideas:
- Tell us what you worked on, what you accomplished and why it matters.
- Describe an important person you met or a personal discovery from your experience.
- Share how you think the summer had an impact on you and how might influence your future.
- Write about a challenge you faced and how you addressed or overcame that challenge.
- Describe how the experience changed you or influenced the way you think about an issue.
We often use these statements as part of the selection process for student leadership roles and speaking engagements, as well as for networking events with alumni and distinguished guests. Sharing your thoughts in this way helps us learn more about you and how the DukeEngage experience influenced your perspective on the world and your place in it.
Write a 400-500-word (or therabouts) letter or essay describing what the DukeEngage experience meant to you or highlighting some aspect of the summer that was meaningful to you.
- You may use a traditional letter (Dear Sir/Madam) format, or you may choose another format.
- Please include: Name & Duke Year, Majors/Minors/Certificates, Name of DukeEngage Program or Project
- Include one recent head-shot type photo of you alone (mobile device snapshots are perfect).
- Include one photo of you in your DukeEngage community, with a short caption (other people can be in this photo).
Please note: By submitting your statement and photos, you are granting permission to DukeEngage to include the submissions in support of programmatic, development and promotional projects and initiatives.
Please email any questions — and your final statements — to Scott Peters.