Be a DukeEngage Academy Leader (DEAL)
As you know from your own pre-departure training experience, the Fortin Foundation DukeEngage Academy is an intensive intellectual- and community-building retreat facilitated by DukeEngage faculty and staff, experts from the field and DukeEngage Academy Leaders (DEALs).
DEALs are DukeEngage student alumni who are interested in sharing their “lessons from the field” through panel discussions, storytelling and informal conversations. Many students participating in DukeEngage have attributed their success to DEALs who enriched their pre-departure experience.
Academy leaders facilitate activities and work with student participants as they process workshops. Additionally, DEALs support the logistical needs of the academy. We are looking for both individual and group program participants as well as students that have had domestic and international placements.
DEAL ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participate in DukeEngage alumni panel and storytelling with the local nonprofit, The Monti
- Co-facilitate academy sections and debrief with assigned cohort (to be assigned as needed)
- Have the opportunity to meet and guide community partners VIPs through the DukeEngage Academy
- Create an atmosphere of excitement and encouragement for your student participants; answer questions, foster community and support students in their pre-departure preparation
- DEALs (program participant alumni) will have some time for peer sharing with program participants
- Logistical support (set up and break down of large group events)
Because their contributions are so critical to the event, DEALs are expected to work for the entire two-day Fortin Foundation DukeEngage Academy: 7:30am-7pm on Tuesday, May 7, and Wednesday, May 8. DEALs will be given special permission to remain in the residence halls until noon on Thursday, May 9. Meals will be provided during the Academy.
- Application Opens: Monday, February 25th
- Application Deadline: Friday, March 22nd (at midnight)
- Interviews: March 25th – March 29th (in-person & Skype)
- Final Team DEAL Announcement: Monday, April 1st
- Mandatory Team DEAL Retreat & Training: Sunday, April 14th
- Assistance with Work Days: A couple of hours during Reading Day or the Friday before the Academy
- Pre-Academy 1-Hour Meeting: The evening of Monday, May 6th
If you have questions or concerns, please contact Adria Kinney.